Monday, May 24, 2010

Cliff Hanger...Part 2 Short Story (from 22nd Street Stories)

Part 2
by A. S. (8th grade)


Ch. 2 Events Big and Small

I wasn’t very sure how long I was out. I opened my eyes to find Avery’s jacket over me; for some reason, I was lying on the ground. I brought myself up to sitting position to learn my surroundings.

I found myself inside a small…um, room. Well, I saw bars, and a person sleeping against the wall so… “OH MY GOD! WHY IN THE WORLD AM I IN JAIL?!” I suddenly screamed to the world. (Wow, I just freaked out there.) The guard woke with a fright, then I really started to panic. I got up, and started to punch the back wall, bawling my eyes out in panic. Soon I made quite a large hole in the wall, crumbs of dirt and concrete on the floor. I looked back to see the shocked guard looking back at me as I ran through the hole into a hallway. I ran through the many people (who were all wearing… uniforms?) in the hall, apologizing to the people every once in a while.

“Halt!” commanded a guard who proceeded along with several other guards. I freaked even more. I stepped back, and then when the guards came forward, I once again covered my face for impact, hearing the guards charging at me. I closed my eyes, and suddenly all the guards screamed in fear. I opened my eyes, finding all the guards about ten feet away from me, frozen on the floor. People around came to view the situation, giving me strange looks.

I couldn’t take it anymore, and pushed myself through the crowd and ran further on. I kept going, not looking back at the people surprised by my sudden appearance. Where am I? Why am I here? And, more importantly, I need to take that test!

“I found you.”

I stopped, knowing that familiar voice. There were no more people; it was just the two of us. His large footsteps echoed through the narrow hall as he walked up to me. For some reason I couldn’t move –I just froze. He grabbed my shoulder and pulled me to face him, just like last time.

I found myself once again able to move as I looked into Avery’s deep blue eyes. I couldn’t help but feel lost. I looked away, and then suddenly heard Avery speak. “Sophia.” He said my name in such an apologetic tone. I couldn’t take it anymore.

I slapped his hand away from me. “No more,” I said in a barely audible whisper.

“Huh?”

“No more, no more, no more,” I continued, my voice getting louder. I kept repeating this, starting to shake violently.

“Are you alright?” Avery was about to put his hands on me again. No more.

“NO MORE, NO MORE, NO MORE!” I bellowed at him, pulling myself away from his grasp. Avery himself pulled back, somehow hit by some unknown force. A great wind surrounded me, pushing Avery further back. This was my chance. I got back to my senses and ran off, hearing Avery’s voice call my name. No more.

I kept on running, the walls closing in. Keep going, that’s all I thought. No one was there to stop me. Tears swept down my face, No one was there to see me cry anyway. Unexpectedly, something came through me, practically freezing up my muscles and completely stopping any further movement. I heard that voice once more:

You cannot hide from your fate or your past.

I fell to my knees, my peripheral vision gradually becoming blurry. I soon heard the voices of many around me while I fell down to the floor. Darkness filled my senses, while I could yet still hear the same voice:

There is nothing to fear, there is nothing to hide.

You will be the greatest of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment